119. Do not pull out the double plug cords (Doppelsteckerschnuere)
by the cords, but by the plugs. Push plug points all the way in,
otherwise there will be no contact. When the machine is working,
the wooden flap must always be shut so that it presses against
Reich Printing Office
5887 40 2B
(Translator's note: The original document ended here. The
paragraphs below were added as of 19 September 1940. The final
diagram may possibly be of a later date. - Tr. )
Use of the Enigma for the Army Cipher
(Der Schluessel M bei Anwendung des
Preparation of the Plain Text
121. Principle: Be brief and unmistakable. Regularity of structure
is to be avoided.
Changing the message text at your own discretion is forbidden;
so also is the mingling of cipher groups with plain text.
Abbreviations are permissible only with the authorization of
the Command Station or of the originator of the message.
122. Express punctuation marks and periods at the end of abbreviations
Exception: Question mark = "X FRAGE X" or "FRAGEZEIQEN" or
"ANFRAGE X OB" etc.
Stress mark is "X .... X".
Stress and punctuation marks are to be inserted only when
Principle: Insert the letter "X" as seldom as possible.
123. Umlaute: a = AE, o = OE, u = UE.
For "ch" and "ck", use "Q". Exception: In names of places and
persons, use CH and CK. For the single character sz, use SZ.
124. Write numbers out by digits as words.
125. Addresses and signatures are to be inserted in the message
texts at a different place each time and to be enciphered also.
Take care that no misunderstandings are possible. Addresses and
signatures are to be omitted when they correspond to the receiving
and sending stations.