Virtual Wartime Bletchley Park
| Back to Wartime BP |
Codes and Ciphers
The initial occupation of Bletchley Park in Autumn 1938 had shown
that much more accommodation space would be needed to house both
GC&CS and SIS. This led to the first wooden huts being built in the
grounds around the House starting in early 1939.
The shells of the Huts 1 to 5 were constructed but the Huts were not fitted out internally until it was decided who was going where when GC&CS came back to the Park in August 1939.
The Naval Section were one of the first to move, into Hut 4 alongside the south face of the House.
It was soon found that a mess room was required and Tiltman's Army Section were chucked out of Sir Herbert's dining room into Hut 5.
To try to ensure this, the English text outputs of the translated German
from the Enigma decrypts were disguised as "Agent reports" to conceal
the true origin of the intelligence. These first outputs went first
from Bletchley Park to SIS in Broadway Buildings in London and SIS
issued them under the CX/ series as Agent Reports and here is one.|
|This page is created by Tony Sale
(firstname.lastname@example.org) the original curator of the Bletchley Park Museum