A Virtual Tour of Bletchley Park

by Tony Sale


page 1 of 5 pages illustrating
Bletchley Park and its Museum


Tony Sale's
Codes and Ciphers



Part 1: Around the Mansion

1. The Mansion was built by Sir Herbert Leon starting in 1882. It was acquired for the wartime headquarters of the Government Code & Cypher School in 1938.
2. This is the Victorian dairy and ice house.

It has a pigeon loft on top. A flock of white doves still lives around the Mansion.

3. This is the roadway down to Back Gate. This was the main entrance for despatch riders.

4. Here is the sentry box where they were checked in and out.

A stick of bombs was dropped across the Park on 20 November 1940. Just a lone German bomber, probably aiming at the railway station.

5. One fell in the trees here, exploded, blew the trees apart and shifted Hut 4 a metre sideways on its base.

6. Back up towards the stable yard:

7. The garage for Sir Herbert's two Rolls Royce motor cars. Now occupied by the Leighton Buzzard Model Boat Club.
8. In 1939 a radio station was set up in the room under the water tower at the top of the Mansion. Using aerials slung from chimneys down to some tall trees by the lake, it maintained contact with British embassies in Europe.
The radio station was known as STATION X and this became one of the cover names for Bletchley Park.This Virtual Tour was conceived and written by Tony Sale to accompany his own photographs.

This page is the first of five parts.
Continue to Part 2.




For information about when Bletchley Park is open to visitors you must go to the Bletchley Park Trust which is responsible for it. This website has no connection with the Bletchley Park Trust.



This page was created by the late Tony Sale
the original curator of the Bletchley Park Museum
Technical assistance from Andrew Hodges